Beara Peninsula Heritage PhotoSite

Castletownbere, Beara, West Cork, Ireland. Email:admin@bearanews.net ©2020
Most viewed
fr_harrington_and_srsw.jpg
Fr. Brian Harrington with his Sisters17586 viewsFr. Brian, Sr. Patricia, Sr. Kathleen, Sr. Sheila Harrington (all three Sisters of Mercy) Fall River, Mass.
Their Grandmother was Mary Harrington, Kilcatherine, Eyeries.
Their Father was Jeremiah Harrington, Hollyhill, Rossmacowen (emigrated to New Bedford, Massachusetts and married Eileen Cronin)
the_spire.jpg
Sacred Heart, Castletownbere6084 viewsThe spire of the Church of the Sacred Heart, Castletownbere being removed in the 1930's
beara_miners_butte31.jpg
A group of Beara Miners in Butte, Montana copper mines. Early 1900’s5495 views
eyeries_ns_1930s_100.jpg
Eyeries National School 1930's5269 views
royal_hotel_gleng1.jpg
Roches Royal Hotel. Glengarriff4703 views
1903_police_medal.jpg
King Edward VII Commemoration Medal, 1903 (Ireland)4531 viewsThis Medal was awarded to Sergeant William Ruth R.I.C during a Royal visit to Castletown Berehaven on the 1st August 1903 by King Edward and Queen Alexandra.
On the left, Hibernia can be seen looking over Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) Harbour with the Royal Yacht Victoria & Albert III in the Background.
creamery_1950s_67.jpg
At the Castletownbere creamery in the 1950’s3740 views
handover_bere_island1938.jpg
Bere Island3664 viewsThe handover of Bere Island by the British to the Irish Free State, (Saorstát Éireann)
26th September 1938.
Although Southern Ireland won Dominion Status on the 6th December 1921, the United Kingdom retained control as sovereign bases, three deep water ports in Ireland. Known collectively as the Treaty Ports, these were respectively, Castletown Berehaven, Lough Swilly and Queenstown (Cobh)
wolfe_tome1907_37.jpg
Wolfe Tone team. Butte, Montana (1907)2843 viewsThese Gaelic Athletic Association members were: Front row on the grass, left to right, Mike O’Sullivan and John C. Murphy. Second row: John J. Sheehan, Pat O’ Sullivan, J.J. Lynch, captain, Pat Crowley, John (Pigeon) O’Shea, Mike Harrington. Third row: Mike Leahy, Torn Connell, Denis Holland, Denis Murphy, Tim Sheehan. Back row: James O’Sullivan, John O’Sullivan, Con O’Sullivan, Jer Sheehan, Con O’Sullivan (not to be confused with other Con O’Sullivan).
Every man was born in Beara and several went back there to live. J.J. Lynch (Ballycrovane) was later a district judge. The last game they played was in 1912.
334 files on 38 page(s) 1

 

Here is text in the "anycontent" block.
Edit the file "anycontent.php" in your Coppermine folder to change what is shown here.
To show this block on your gallery, go to the configuration panel under "Album List View", then "content of the main page".

All photographs published on this PhotoSite are copyright of Beara Historical Society and the respective photographers. Heritage PhotoSite images may be copied and downloaded for private use only. None of the material on this site may be copied for commercial use without written permission from the Society.